Assembly Rooms closure update
Wed 26 Mar 2014
Following the extensive damage caused by the fire in the Assembly Rooms plant room on Friday 14 March, major investigations are now being carried out. All events in the Assembly Rooms up to and including Sunday 11 May 2014 have been cancelled and, where possible, either rescheduled or moved to another venue. Tickets are currently being sold for events in the Assembly Rooms from Monday 12 May 2014 onwards. However, the amount of damage that has occurred means that we cannot confirm the timescale for the reopening of the Assembly Rooms until the investigations are completed on 14 April 2014.
Should any further cancellations be necessary we will either reschedule shows or offer a full refund.
All of the services that supply the Assembly Rooms were in the plant room and have been totally destroyed. The plant room will therefore have to be demolished before being replaced and this will take a considerable amount of time.
Our Box Office team will contact all customers as soon as possible to arrange either an exchange to a new date, another venue or full refunds. We will update the list below as soon as new dates or full cancellations are confirmed.
Affected shows include:
- Friday 14 March Anton du Beke (fully cancelled) and Steve Tilston Trio (fully cancelled)
- Saturday 15 March Beyond the Barricade (rescheduled to Tuesday 16 September)
- Sunday 16 March, Grimethorpe Colliery Band (rescheduled to Sunday 26 October)
- Monday 17 March the Tea Dance (fully cancelled)
- Tuesday 18, Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 March Sarah Millican (rescheduled to Monday 26, Tuesday 27 & Wednesday 28 May)
- Friday 21 March An Evening of Burlesque (rescheduled to Saturday 13 September) and Julian Joseph Trio (fully cancelled)
- Saturday 22 March Paul Carrack (rescheduled to Friday 18 July) and Interrobang (fully cancelled)
- Sunday 23 March Derbyshire Music Education Hub’s Celebration Concert (fully cancelled)
- Monday 24 March Tea Dance (fully cancelled)
- Tuesday 25 - Saturday 29 March New Jersey Nights (rescheduled to Tuesday 1 July - Saturday 5 July)
- Thursday 27 March Andy Kirkpatrick (moved to The Venue, 47-49 Abbey Street, Derby, DE22 3SJ)
- Friday 28 March Andy McKee (moved to The Venue, 47-49 Abbey Street, Derby, DE22 3SJ - same date and time)
- Saturday 29 March An Evening with Michael Dodd (moved to Allestree Woodlands School - same date and time)
- Monday 31 March Tea Dance (fully cancelled)
- Tuesday 1 April The Good Old Days of Music Hall & Variety (rescheduled to Tuesday 23 September)
- Wednesday 2 April Sinfonia Viva (rescheduled to Tuesday 22 July)
- Thursday 3 April Charlie Landsborough (rescheduled to Tuesday 14 October)
- Friday 4 April A Night of Dirty Dancing (rescheduled to Friday 12 September)
- Saturday 5 April Joel Dommett (rescheduled to Friday 25 July) and Gala Concert (fully cancelled)
- Monday 7 April Tea Dance (fully cancelled)
- Friday 11 April Kerry Godliman (moved to Derby Theatre Studio - same date and time)
- Saturday 12 April Funhouse Comedy Club (fully cancelled)
- Monday 7 - Saturday 12 April Buddy - the Buddy Holly Story (rescheduled to Monday 18 August - Saturday 23 August)
- Monday 14 April Tea Dance (fully cancelled) and Russell Brand (fully cancelled)
- Tuesday 15 April Hot Flush! (fully cancelled - the nearest performance will be at The Regent Theatre, Stoke on Trent on Sat 26 April)
- Saturday 19 April Monsters of Mock (rescheduled to Saturday 8 November), Interrobang (moved to the Guildhall Clubrooms) and EPD Championships (moved to The Albert Hall, North Circus Street, Nottingham, NG1 5AA)
- Tuesday 22 - Wednesday 23 April Peter Pan (rescheduled to Mon 21 & Tue 22 April and moved to the Guildhall Theatre)
- Thursday 24 April That'll Be The Day (re-scheduled to Sunday 8 June)
- Friday 25 April Nights on Broadway (fully cancelled) and European Jazz Ensemble (moved to Déda, Chapel Street, Derby, DE1 3GU)
- Saturday 26 April Dave Swarbrick & Said the Maiden (fully cancelled)
- Saturday 26 & Sunday 27 April Aliens Love Underpants (fully cancelled)
- Monday 28 April Tea Dance (fully cancelled)
- Tuesday 29 April The Hallé (re-scheduled to Sunday 22 June)
- Friday 2 May Pasadena Roof Orchestra (rescheduled to the Guildhall Theatre, same date and time)
- Saturday 3 May Son Yambu (rescheduled to Friday 5 September) and Jane McDonald (rescheduled to Sunday 12 October)
- Sunday 4 May Championship Boxing (rescheduled to Sunday 1 June)
- Tuesday 6 May Return of the Grumpy Old Women (rescheduled to Mon 2 June)
- Wednesday 7 May The Solid Silver '60s Show (fully cancelled)
- Thursday 8 May Matt Richardson (moved to The Venue, 47-49 Abbey Street, Derby, DE22 3SJ)
- Friday 9 May Sing-a-long-a Grease (re-scheduled to Friday 27 June) and England Away (venue changed to Guildhall Theatre - same date and time)
- Saturday 10 May Feast of Folk (moved to Robert Ludlum Theatre, Duffield Rd, Derby. DE22 1JD) and Interrobang (fully cancelled)
- Sunday 11 May Evolution (rescheduled to Sunday 29 June)
All other scheduled Derby LIVE events in the Guildhall Theatre, on the Market Place (including The Ladyboys of Bangkok) and other outdoor spaces, will go ahead as planned.
What should I do if I have tickets for a show during this period?
We’re writing to you as you hold tickets for an event during this period. Our box office team is busy calling everyone to let them know of the cancellations.
We’re trying to reschedule some of the shows to a later date. As soon as we know whether the show(s) you have tickets for will be rescheduled or not, we’ll get in contact with you again (either by email, letter or telephone) to advise you of the new date and offer an exchange to that date or a refund.
Is the box office open?
Yes we’re now open as usual at the Assembly Rooms from 10am-8pm. Monday – Saturday.
Should I contact the box office?
It will take us a little time to work through the list of cancelled shows. We promise to get in touch with you as soon as possible. As you can imagine phone lines are busy, so we ask you to bear with us and wait for us to get in touch with you if possible.
Do I need new tickets?
If you already have tickets for a cancelled show and the date is rescheduled you can keep the original tickets and these will be valid for the new date. If you have tickets for a cancelled show and the event is rescheduled to take place at a different venue then it's likely that the original tickets will be valid for the new date. Box Office will be contacting you regarding rescheduled events.
Thank you all in advance for your patience and understanding at this difficult time.