Assembly Rooms Update
Mon 12 May 2014
Following the fire at the Assembly Rooms on Friday 14 March, the Council has today issued the following new statement:
Derby City Council today confirms that the Assembly Rooms will be closed for a minimum of 18 months following the serious fire in the plant room on the roof of the building five weeks ago.
Adam Wilkinson, Chief Executive states “The Council is committed to a significant cultural facility in the city centre but due to the on-going assessment of damage after the fire, it has become clear we cannot re-open the building as quickly as we would like. We are continuing to work through the various options open to us, based on either refurbishing or replacing the current building.”
Customers who have purchased tickets for shows later this year at the Assembly Rooms will be reimbursed in due course and those with tickets for shows in April/May will be contacted first by Derby LIVE Box Office. We hope to be able to hold the annual pantomime at an alternative venue in the city.
We’re exploring opportunities to move some events to other venues, including this year’s pantomime, Beauty & the Beast. We’ll update this page as soon as we can confirm any moves. However, the majority of events, will have to be cancelled and ticket holders will receive a full refund.
All other scheduled Derby LIVE events in the Guildhall Theatre, on the Market Place and other outdoor spaces, will go ahead as planned. The Box Office and Tourist Information Centre are open as usual.
Refunds will be processed in date order of event, so if you’re a ticket holder, please be patient.
We’ll write to all ticket holders for affected events to advise them of the cancellations and of details of an alternative venue if and when one is confirmed (or to advise of a refund if a suitable alternative venue has not been found).
Affected shows that have moved to a new venue are as follows:
- Mark Grist 23 May 2014 - moved to The Silk Mill Museum - all existing tickets remain valid
- Funhouse Comedy Club 31 May 2014 - moved to The Silk Mill Museum- all existing tickets remain valid
- Andrew O'Neill 6 June 2014 - moved to The Silk Mill Museum - all existing tickets remain valid
- Doug Segal 8 June 2014 - date changed to Sat 5 July 2014 and venue changed to the Guildhall Theatre - all existing tickets remain valid
- Ben Norris 13 June 2014 - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all existing tickets remain valid
- Comedy Club 4 Kids!14 June 2014 - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all existing tickets remain valid
- Funhouse Comedy Club 14 June 2014 - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all existing tickets remain valid
- Norman Lovett 15 June 2014 - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all existing tickets remain valid
- Comedy Moves 17 June 2014 - first half moved to the Guildhall Theatre Large Clubrooms - the second half will take place in the Council Chamber as usual - all existing tickets remain valid
- Interrobang: Improv Comedy 18 June 2014 - moved to The Book Cafe - all existing tickets remain valid
- Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre 20 & 22 June 2014 - both performances moved to the Guildhall Theatre Large Clubroom - all existing tickets remain valid
- Steve Hewlett 22 June 2014 - moved to the Derby Theatre Studio - all existing tickets remain valid
- Anti Capitalist Roadshow 27 June 2014 - moved to the Derby West Indian Community Association, Trinity Street (off London Road), DE1 2ND - all existing tickets remain valid
- Joel Dommett 25 July 2014 - moved to The Silk Mill Museum- all existing tickets remain valid
- Preston Reed 13 September 2014 - moved to The Silk Mill Museum - all existing tickets remain valid
- Derby Folk Festival 3-5 October 2014 - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place, the Guildhall Theatre and the Old Bell Hotel - all existing tickets remain valid
- Steeleye Span Fri 3 Oct - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all tickets remain valid
- Show of Hands Sat 4 Oct - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all tickets remain valid
- Kate Rusby Sun 5 Oct - moved to the Festival Tent, Market Place - all tickets remain valid
- Chris Ramsey 22 October 2014 - moved to The Venue - all existing tickets remain valid
Affected shows that have been fully cancelled include:
- Ian Anderson 13 May 2014 Please consider these alternative Ian Anderson dates and venues: 3 May 2014 Symphony Hall, Birmingham; 11 May 2014 De Montfort Hall, Leicester; 14 May 2014 Palace Theatre, Manchester
- Professor Green (previously cancelled) 14 May 2014
- Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra 18 May 2014
- Jon Richardson 24 May 2014
- Sarah Millican 26-28 May 2014 Ticket holders have access to an exclusive 7 day presale and a 20% saving on tickets for Sarah's new matinee performance at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, on Saturday 17 May. Ticket holders have been emailed details of this including the promo code required to access the tickets and offer. If you haven't received this call our box office on 01332 255800.
- Old MacDonald Had A Farm 28 May 2014
- Superslam Wrestling Spectacular 30 May 2014
- Grumpy Old Women 2 June 2014
- Masterclass Concert 7 June 2014
- Black Dyke Band Concert 7 June 2014
- That'll Be The Day 8 June 2014
- Bless 'Em All 12 June 2014
- Dawn French 13 June 2014
- Joe McElderry in Concert 14 June 2014
- Morecambe 18 June 2014
- The ELO Experience 19 June 2014
- Jimmy Carr 20 June 2014
- Derby Pomp and Stomp 21 June 2014
- Knightmare Live! 21 June 2014
- The Hallé 22 June 2014
- Peppa Pig's Big Splash 25-26 June 2014
- Sing-a-long-a Grease 27 June 2014
- Evolution 29 June 2014
- New Jersey Nights 1-5 July 2014
- Paul Carrack 18 July 2014
- Billy Joel Songbook 20 July 2014
- Sinfonia Viva 22 July 2014
- Rhapsody Queen 25 July 2014
- Northern Soul All-Dayer 26 July 2014
- Angelina Ballerina 1 August 2014
- Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story 18-23 August 2014
- Son Yambu 5 September 2014
- A Night of Dirty Dancing 12 September 2014
- An Evening of Burlesque 13 September 2014
- Beyond the Barricade 16 September 2014
- Psychic Sally 19 September 2014
- Halfway to Paradise 20 September 2014
- The Good Old Days 23 September 2014
- Gervase Phinn 28 September 2014
- Jane McDonald 12 October 2014
- Charlie Landsborough 14 October 2014
- The Elvis Years 16 October 2014
- The Smyths 17 October 2014
- Grimethorpe Colliery Band 26 October 2014
- Superslam Wrestling Spectacular 27 October 2014
- Ross Noble 28 October 2014
- An Evening with Noel Fielding 30 October 2014
- Festival of Remembrance 2014 2 November 2014
- Dave Gorman 4 November 2014
- La Traviata 6 November 2014
- The Drifters 7 November 2014
- Viva La Drag! 8 November 2014
- The Sensational 60s Experience 9 November 2014
- The Noise Next Door 18 November 2014
- The Nutcracker 19 November 2014
- Dancing Queen 20 February 2015
- Bellowhead 22 November 2014
- Madama Butterfly 7 April 2015
- Stewart Francis 3 June 2015
- All forthcoming Tea Dances
Affected shows, for which we are exploring the possibility of a new venue include:
- Monsters of Mock 2014 8 November 2014
- Beauty and the Beast 3 December 2014 – 4 January 2015
- Faulty Towers - Dining Experience 16-18 December 2014
- Tony Stockwell 28 January 2015
What should I do if I have tickets for a cancelled show?
You don’t need to do anything. We’ll refund the card that you paid on or if you paid by any other means (including a mixed payment), the Council will post a cheque to you. Please be patient as this will take some time, and refunds will be processed in event date order.
What should I do if I have tickets for a show for which a new venue is being looked for?
You don’t need to do anything. We’ll contact you with details of the new venue if and when one is confirmed. If we can’t find a new venue, we’ll let you know and you’ll receive a full refund.
Is the box office open?
Yes we’re now open as usual at the Assembly Rooms from 10am-8pm. Monday – Saturday.
Is the Tourist Information Centre open?
Yes it is open as usual - see visitderby.co.uk for opening times
Should I contact the box office?
It will take us quite some time to work through the list of cancelled shows. We promise to either refund you or to let you know as soon as we can confirm a new venue. As you can imagine phone lines are busy, so we ask you to bear with us and wait for us to get in touch with you if possible.
Thank you all in advance for your patience and understanding at this difficult time.