Festé 2015 commissions for local artists
Thu 29 Jan 2015
Festé will return this year on Fri 25 and Sat 26 Sep and they are offering two commissions for locally based artists.
Originally established in 2007 as a partnership between some of Derby’s main cultural partners to celebrate the city and its cultural offer. It has since gone from strength to strength and has become an essential part of the City’s cultural calender.
With a distinct emphasis on the family audience a programme of outdoor arts, visual and digital arts, performance, circus and music is presented each September. Attracting average annual audiences in excess of 30,000 people Festé brings high quality national and international artists that would not otherwise be seen in the region.
Festé aims to deliver spectacle, distinctiveness and a sense of place that encourages audiences to feel proud of the place where they live. The festival’s importance to local people was confirmed by Derby City Council and Arts Council England investing funding through to 2017 ensuring the festival’s ongoing viability. Festé aims to present a balance of international, national and local artists and believes that the event is rooted in Derby but speaking to the world.
Festé is managed as a partnership between Déda, Derby LIVE, Derby QUAD and Derby Theatre who form the Executive Group and represents an excellent example of a consortium working to deliver high quality work for large audiences.
There is the opportunity for a professional company / artist to submit a proposal for either, or both, a £3,000 or £6,000 commission dependant on the scale and nature of the project.
The selected work must be ready for performance on the Festé weekend - the
25th & 26th September 2015.
We are looking to commission a Static or Walkabout piece/s which meets the following criteria:
• A new piece of work
• Innovative and engaging content
• Pieces that are eye-catching, accessible and designed to capture foot traffic
• Content that highlights the public realm
• Work that demonstrates quality and excellence
• The work should be between 20 – 30 minutes in length
• The work must be presented twice in Derby City Centre as part of Festé 2015
Please note –
• In the six months lead in time to Festé 2015 the successful project/s will be assigned a mentor from the Festé Programme Group to contribute in the development of the work.
• It is recognised that other funding partners may need to be identified and in this instance Derby Festé will be a co-commissioner.
Please submit your proposal using the following headings:
1. Piece description: 1 x side of A4 maximum
2. Company/group background
2.1. Including details about where you are based, previous performance highlights, awards and accreditations
3. Videos, images and links
3.1. Submissions must include at least one group performance video. This video does not need to be of an extremely high professional quality or of the specific piece being submitted. It simply needs to reflect the style and makeup of each group.
4. Infrastructure and production requirements
Please also include a current CV (this should include evidence of relevant experience, knowledge, skills and abilities) for the lead contact on this project.
Please note - All facilitators working with children/young people and/or vulnerable adults will be required to have had a recent DBS check or be willing to undertake one.
• Deadline for expressions of interest: 5pm, 20th February, 2015
• Artists will be informed of the panel’s decision by 6th March 2015
• Programme performances: 26th September 2015
• Evaluation meeting October 2015
Please send submissions to Stephen Munn: firstname.lastname@example.org