This is a past event that has already taken place. Sorry if you missed it, find out about future events on our what's on page.
St George's Day Celebrations
Sat 23 Apr
Location: Derby City Centre
Working in association with Lost Boys, FOLK3D and supported by St Peter’s Quarter Business Improvement District (BID), to bring you a feast of family fun for St George’s Day including dance acts, a parade, craft stalls, storytelling and much more.
There will be performances by Folk Dance Remixed taking place at the Spot and fun from Smoked Creature Encounter at St Peters Cross.
At The Market Place there will be a variety of entertainment including Folk Act The Last Inklings, Derbyshire Youth Folk Ensemble, a Ceilidh Jam and Phileas Fogg by Dizzy O’Dare.
Also, a Maypole Workshop with Folk Friendzy, displays of armour and medieval combat from 14th century medieval combat group Team Falchion plus, the opportunity to have a go at Long Bow Archery and lots of fun for the whole family!
We welcome the return of the much-loved St George’s Day parade led by St George himself winding through the city like a dragon’s tail to the Market Place to start the great tale told by the Lost Boys.
The Spot and Parade
- 11.10 am Performances at the spot by Folk Dance Remixed - a fresh, quirky, colourful and magical collision of traditional, Hip Hop and Folk dance.
- 11.30 am St George and the Dragon Parade - Starting at The Spot, St George will lead the parade, winding through the city like a dragon’s tail to the Market Place to start the great tale at 12 noon.
St Peters Cross
- 11.10 am – 11.35 am Smoked Creature Encounter
- 11.40 am -11.50 am St George and the Dragon Parade – The parade will arrive at St Peters Cross and make its way toward the Market Place.
- 12.20 pm – 12.45 pm Smoked by Creature Encounter
- 1.20 pm – 1.45 pm Smoked by Creature Encounter
Market Place Stage Show
- 11 am – 12noon The Last Inklings (Folk Act)
- 12noon – 12.40 pm The Tale of St George and the Dragon - A tongue-in-cheek re-telling of the story of St George and the Dragon from Lost Boys.
- 12.40 pm – 12.50 pm Civic welcome
- 12.50 pm – 1.20 pm Folk Dance Remixed – Step Hip Hop performance
- 1.20 pm-1.35 pm Community Choir - Singers from Rough Truffles and Kaleidoscope community choirs bring folk songs from England, Cornwall, Georgia and Ukraine.
- 1.35 pm- 1:50 pm Priya Sundar – performing her take on the story of St George and the Dragon through the classical Indian dance; Bharathanatyam.
- 2.05 pm – 2.35 pm Maypole Workshop with Folk Friendzy – an exciting workshop run by young, skilled dancers who perform many different styles based on the traditional dance.
- 2.35 pm – 3.05 pm Ceilidh Jam with Folk Dance Remixed
- 3.05pm – 3.35pm Mass Morris
Market Place Events
- 11 am – 3 pm Have a go Long Bow Archery - Reach the Core are providing free Have A Go Long Bow Archery.
- 11 am – 3 pm Arts and Craft stalls
- 11 am - 3 pm Team Falchion Displays of Armour and Medieval Combat from 14th Century Medieval Combat group Team Falchion.
- 11 am – 3 pm Story Telling at the Waterfall with Maria Buckley Whatton -Relax and hear old English tales of magical dragons, bold knights, and brave children.
- 12.30 pm – 1 pm Team Falchion, medieval sword fighting display
- 12.30 pm – 1 pm Derby LIVE Dragon
- 1 pm – 1.30 pm Phileas Fogg by Dizzy O’Dare
- 1.50 pm – 2.10 pm Team Falchion, medieval sword fighting display
- 2.15 pm – 2.45 pm Phileas Fogg by Dizzy O’Dare