An evening of classical music and fireworks – don’t forget your picnic!
Book for 2020 here
Read the event FAQ
Come along and be part of one of the UK’s biggest outdoor classical concerts, in the stunning natural amphitheatre that is Darley Park.
Sinfonia Viva are back, supported by Rolls-Royce, with accomplished conductor Ben Pope. The theme for this year’s programme celebrates 1969 and golden anniversaries. Having performed at Darley Park many times before, Derby LIVE is pleased to welcome back talented soloist Grant Doyle to lead the vocal numbers.
Customer information and FAQs
For all sorts of useful information about access, parking, what you can and can't bring to the event and so on, be sure to check out the event information and FAQs page before you head down to the park! You can also download this here.
Programme - Celebrating 1969 and Golden Anniversaries
6pm Welcome followed by Darley Abbey Choir Performances by Darley Abbey Choir and children.
6:20pm Jungle Book Choir Featuring young people from Becket, Firs and Bemrose primary schools who have worked with Derby Theatre, Sinfonia Viva, Artcore and Baby People as part of This is Derby.
7pm – 8pm Sinfonia Viva
- Also Sprach Zarathustra – Sunrise - Richard Strauss Moon Landing – The most famous piece linked with space and the launch of space craft. Used in 2001 Space Odyssey.
- Blue Danube - Johann Strauss Moon Landing – Most famously linked to 2001 Space Odyssey in one of its most famous scenes.
- None but the Lonely Heart - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Celebrating its 3rd Golden anniversary since it was written, this piece is one of Tchaikovsky's best-loved vocal masterpieces.
- Here Comes the Sun – George Harrison Abbey Road Album released in 1969. Written by George Harrison this is a sing along classic and an amazing chance to hear this song with a full orchestra.
- Liberty Bell - John Philip Sousa The theme song from Monty Python which first aired in 1969. An instantly recognisable toe-tapping classic.
- Nimrod - Edward Elgar The Nimrod aircraft first entered service in 1969 and shares a name with this piece, which is a hugely stirring and instantly recognisable classic. A moving piece that conjures up the power of flight and the weightless experience of aviation.
- Run Away Train - Harry Warren Links to the Victoria Line which opened in 1969. This is a sing along song that everyone remembers once the chorus kicks in.
- Music of the Spheres - Josef Strauss Moon Landing – Another classic piece from 2001 and synonymous with space. The movement of the waltz mirrors the movement of the space ships in the Space Odyssey film, dancing across the screen and moving elegantly to the smooth sounding, yet powerful music.
- Slavonic Dance Op.46 no.8 – Antonín Dvorak The Victoria Line opened in 1969, Dvorak was a train enthusiast and this piece has the movement of a train in full flight.
8.05pm - Saxophonix Ensemble
8.30pm – 9.30pm Sinfonia Viva (with fireworks starting just after 9.15pm)
- Ace’s High March – Ron Goodwin The main theme from Battle of Britain Film – Released in 1969. A stirring march of a piece that draws people together. A real flag waver for the crowd to get excited by.
- Gold and Silver Waltz – Franz Lehar 50 years since it was written. Franz Lehár was an Austro-Hungarian composer. This is a famous waltz number, good for those who like a dance.
- Black and White Rag – George Botsford Snookers Pot Black programme was first broadcast on the BBC 1969 and this classic ragtime piece was the theme tune. A jaunty number of nimble fingered brilliance.
- Come Fly with Me - Jimmy Van Heusen Concorde’s first flight was in 1969 and this classic tune made famous by Frank Sinatra is a number that really conjures up the image of flying, having also been used on television for flying based programmes and adverts.
- Steve Bloomer’s Watchin’ - Mike Brady County Win 2nd division in 1969 to be promoted to 1st division. This is the official Derby County theme song. Steve Bloomer is Derby’s highest goal scorer and the song ‘Steve Bloomer's Watchin'’ is played at the starts of every Derby home game.
- Dr Who Theme – Ron Grainer Patrick Troughton’s last appearance as the Dr was in 1969. This theme tune is as instantly recognisable to the young and old today.
- Summer of ’69 - Bryan Adams Bryan Adams classic rock anthem, with lyrics relating to the year 1969.
- Light Cavalry Overture - Franz Von Suppe With 200 years since Suppe’s birth. An epic finale with its galloping pace and intertwining melodies. Providing a stirring finish of fist pumping proportions.
Read more about the programme here.
Hannells, Flint Bishop, Homes 2 Opportunities, HUUB, Mobile Solutions (UK) Ltd., Mortgage Advice Bureau, Stratstone BMW Derby and WDS Limited.
Join the Facebook event.
View the #Darley19 social media wall here.
SAVE MONEY BY BUYING IN ADVANCE
See Prices and Offers for more information.