Guildhall Theatre closure update
Fri 8 Feb 2019
Over recent months significant efforts have been made to keep the Guildhall Theatre open while essential maintenance works take place.
Earlier this month, due to unforeseen circumstances, the venue had to be closed.
This was initially until the end of January. However, following subsequent work and evaluation of all the available information the decision has today been made that the venue should now be closed until the end of September 2019.
We hope to reopen the Guildhall Theatre after this, however, due to the nature of the work, we do not anticipate that this can be confirmed until May 2019.
We’re sorry to cause any disappointment and inconvenience, but we have a duty to operate safely, which we take very seriously.
Planned work relating to the Guildhall Theatre auditorium ceiling has been ongoing since summer 2018. When the ceiling was inspected in September 2018 it was identified that a scaffold structure was needed above balcony to keep the Theatre open to customers and this was put in place.
Unfortunately as work progressed, it became apparent that more extensive work is required to the ceiling. The Guildhall Theatre has been closed since the 11 January so that these works can continue.
Following further investigations, it’s been concluded that the improvement works to the ceiling must be progressed before the Theatre can reopen.
Given what is currently known, it is believed that it is reasonable and realistic to carry this work out and reopen in the autumn.
Cllr Alan Grimadell, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Culture and Tourism says:
“It’s very unfortunate that the Guildhall Theatre has to remain closed until autumn, but the priority has to be the safety of our staff, partners and customers. Derby LIVE is looking to relocate events where possible.”
Which events have been affected?
The Guildhall Theatre will be closed until Monday 30 September. We will be looking at options to move some events to other venues. Where this is not possible, the event will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
We will post updates about each event here as soon as details for each event are agreed:
- Our House on Wed 27 Feb to Sat 2 Mar - extra dates added at Belper Community Theatre
- Richard III on Tue 5 to Sat 9 Mar has been cancelled.
- Leigh Timmis on Wed 13 Mar at 7:30pm has moved to Déda Derby.
- The Government Inspector on Thu 14 May has been cancelled.
- The Lindisfarne Story on Fri 15 May at 7:30pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- The Mikado on Tue 26 to Sat 30 Mar has been cancelled.
- Amy - A Tribute to Amy Winehouse on Fri 5 Apr has been cancelled.
- Alfie Moore on Sat 6 Apr at 8pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas on Tue 9 to Sat 13 Apr has moved to Repton School Theatre.
- The Selfish Giant on Tue 16 Apr at 2pm has moved to Déda Derby.
- Sinfonia Viva - Searching for Tchaikovsky on Wed 17 Apr at 7:30pm has moved to Derby Central Library.
- The Bootleg Shadows on Thu 18 Apr at 7:30pm has been cancelled.
- Malcolm Stent and Mad Jocks & Englishmen on Sat 20 Apr at 8pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- Oye Santana on Thu 25 Apr at 8pm has been cancelled.
- Two2 on Wed 1 and Thu 2 May at 7:30pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- Cara Dillon on Fri 3 May at 8pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Flook on Wed 8 May at 7:30pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- Lee Hurst: Mucking About on Thu 9 May at 8pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Sam Avery: The Learner Parent on Fri 10 May at 8pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Sounds Like the Seekers on Sat 11 May at 7:30pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Dear Zoo on Sun 12 to Mon 13 May has been cancelled.
- Mike McClean – Return of the Mac on Fri 17 May at 8pm has moved to The Venue.
- Ray Bradshaw: Deaf Comedy Fam on Sat 18 May at 6pm and 8pm has moved to the Guildhall Theatre Clubrooms.
- Mark Beaumont on Thu 23 May at 7:30pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Jim Moray on Fri 24 May at 7:30pm has moved to The Old Bell.
- The Simon & Garfunkel Story on Tue 28 and Wed 29 May at 7.30pm has moved to The Venue.
- Gyles Brandreth: Break a Leg! on Sat 1 Jun at 7:30pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Dick Whittington on Tue 25 to Sun 30 Jun has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- Floyd in the Flesh on Sat 27 Jul at 7:30pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
- An Evening with Gill Sims on Thy 26 Sep at 7:30pm has moved to Landau Forte Theatre.
Information on the alternative venues can be found here.
The Guildhall Theatre Christmas show, The Christmas Toy Shop Mystery, will remain on sale.
All other Derby LIVE events at Derby Arena, Markeaton Park Craft Village and all other outdoor spaces and venues, will go ahead as planned.
What should I do if I have tickets for an event during this period?
We’re writing to customers who hold tickets for an event during this period. Our sales and information team is busy calling everyone to let them know about the Guildhall Theatre closure.
We will be looking at options to move some events to other venues. Where this is not possible, the event will be cancelled and customers will receive a full refund.
As soon as we know whether the event(s) you have tickets for will be relocated or not, we’ll get in contact with you again (either by email, letter or telephone) to advise you either of the new venue or the cancellation and to offer a refund.
Is the Sales and Information Centre open?
Yes the Sales and Information Centre at the Assembly Rooms is open as usual from 9:30am-8pm, Monday – Saturday.
Should I contact the Sales and Information Centre?
It will take us some time to work through the list of affected events. We promise to get in touch with you as soon as possible. As you can imagine phone lines are busy, so we ask you to bear with us and wait for us to get in touch with you if possible.